Medical Laboratory Technologist
Department: Laboratory - NYC
Office or Remote: Office - PRL NYC
Location: Long Island City, NY
Business Unit: Pandemic Response Lab (PRL)
Medical Laboratory Technologist
Opentrons Labworks, Inc., is a disruptive life science company leveraging its integrated lab platform to supercharge the pace of innovation in research and healthcare. Through our business unit, Opentrons Robotics, thousands of institutions are automating R&D operations with flexible, easy-to-use lab robots. Health systems across the US rely on our Pandemic Response Lab (PRL) to deliver high-throughput and affordable molecular diagnostic testing. And through recent acquisitions of Neochromosome and Zenith AI, biopharma can benefit from our world-class genome-scale cell engineering solutions.
We provide excellent benefits, competitive compensation, equity packages, and opportunities for growth. If you are looking for your next exciting opportunity, come join us!
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance for employees and their families
- Paid Vacation, Parental and Sick Leave
- Generous Stock options
- 401k with 4% company match
- Long-term and short-term Life & Disability insurance
- And much more!
About the Pandemic Response Lab
During the height of the coronavirus pandemic, together with a group of leading experts, we launched New York's Pandemic Response Lab (PRL) in August 2020. We have since expanded to several labs and thousands of customers across the nation.
Through our continuous R&D efforts, we have now extended this platform beyond Covid, for the detection of diverse human pathogens, providing unprecedented accessibility for clinically actionable information to improve human health.
About the role
The Medical Laboratory Technologist is responsible for all laboratory testing and procedures pursuant to established protocols including maintaining equipment and records, and performing quality assurance activities related to examination performance requiring the exercise of independent judgment and responsibility.
The schedule consists of four (4) 10-hour shifts/week, with rotating holidays and weekends required.
- Daily testing of patient samples in all areas of the clinical laboratory according to established policies and procedures
- Adhering to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and all maintenance performed
- Ensuring smooth workflow and demonstrating decision-making abilities in all aspects of performance in support of the department.
- Preparing samples for processing for RNA extraction or RT-PCR processing; Review and releasing results
- Maintaining records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
- Analyzing specimens using approved testing procedures according to department’s SOP’s
- Identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results, correct the problems encountered or immediately notify a Liaison or Supervisor
- Documenting all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications
- Participating in all applicable safety training sessions on the contents of the safety manual, SOP’s Know the location/use of all applicable safety equipment
- Following NYS, CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA, and safety guidelines as described in their respective guidelines
- Unpacking and storing reagents, supplies and inventories and ordering warehouse supply items
- Maintaining work area including ensuring laboratory equipment is in clean, organized and pristine condition
- Using various laboratory computer systems for labeling, inquiry, crediting, and resulting as needed
- Disposing of biohazard, chemical waste, weekly specimens and other materials as needed
- Coordinating and providing team support including mentoring/training new employees
- Participating in government or regulatory agency inspections as needed
- Ad-hoc projects as directed by the Management Team
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions
- Working irregular hours including call hours
- Physically demanding, high-stress environment
- Exposure to body fluids, communicable diseases, chemicals, and repetitive motions
- Pushing and pulling heavy objects
- Full range of body motion including handling and lifting objects
- Position requires light to moderate work with 50 pounds maximum weight to lift and carry.
- Position requires reaching, bending, stooping, and handling objects with hands and/or fingers, talking and/or hearing, and seeing
- Bachelor's degree (Medical Technology, Biology, or Clinical Laboratory Sciences) required
- The current New York State Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required
- 0-2 years of relevant work experience in Molecular testing is strongly preferred but recent graduates eligible for NYS CLS Full Licensure will also be considered
Opentrons is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.