Corporate Strategy and Business Development Intern (Bachelors/Masters/MBA)
About the Internship Program
At Illumina, we believe interns are our future innovators, leaders, and game changers. You'll tap undiscovered talents, develop new skills, and join a team of full-time employees doing work that directly contributes to our business and mission. It truly is an opportunity to learn, grow, and become a fully integrated member of the Illumina community.
In addition to impactful work, the internship program offers a robust experience including:
- Competitive hourly pay rate
- 2 days of paid time off (PTO) in addition to our 1-week paid company summer shutdown
- Professional development
- Team building activities
- Mentorship program
- Engagement with senior leadership
- Volunteering opportunities
- Access to our benefits and wellness program
Program Logistics and Eligibility:
- You must be available for the entire 12-week 2023 summer program. You will choose from these two session options in May – Aug 2023 or June – September 2023. Program dates are not flexible.
- You must be available to work 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday.
- We offer both onsite and remote internships and will ask for your preferences when you apply. The location of your internship will be determined based on the specific team you join and will be communicated later in the interview process. You could work at one of the following sites: San Diego, CA, Foster City, CA, Hayward, CA, Madison, WI, Baltimore, MD, Fully remote (**If your internship is remote, you must work in the U.S. for the entirety of the program).
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for the duration of the internship period. Candidates who require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., F-1 visa status) are NOT eligible for this position.
About the Role
As a Corporate Strategy and Business Development Intern, you will have the opportunity to gain real work experience and help solve problems and issues that are relevant to our dynamic business.
Please note, this role is available in our Corporate Strategy and Business Development business unit. Through our interview process, we will align your qualifications and interests with a specific team based on their skillset needs. Project and team details will be clarified throughout the interview process.
Responsibilities could include:
- Evaluate new market opportunities and therapeutic areas aligned to Illumina’s overall strategic plan and identify required resources to support that market.
- Support partnership activities and initiatives to increase the utility of Illumina’s products for clinicians and patients. Develop tools for measuring partnership key performance indicators.
- Conduct competitive intelligence for new market entry, emerging technology evaluation, and strategic planning.
- Developing strategic direction from market information and create compelling market analysis presentations.
- Assist in conducting make-versus-buy analysis from a partnership/merger/acquisition perspective.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Successful track record of effectively interfacing with business personnel to identify, support, and execute on value-added ideas to improve profitability.
- Ability to influence cross functionally and solve complex problems.
- Must be comfortable working with and analyzing large data files. Attention to detail and high proficiency with Microsoft office suite preferred.
- Prior exposure to Biotech, healthcare, or genomics industry, combined with experience in strategy, consulting, business, investment banking, or corporate and venture development preferred.
- Deep scientific knowledge or related coursework in life sciences or genomics concepts a plus.
- Self-starter, collaborator, and problem-solver with excellent communication skills and agile mind-set.
- Excitement to join a fast-paced and innovative organization that is impacting human health!
- You must be a current student enrolled in a full-time Bachelors, Masters or MBA program with a graduation date between December 2023 – July 2025.
- Preferred areas of study: Business, Public Health, Marketing, Finance, Health Sector Management, Biomedical Engineering, Biological Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Engineering or related field.
Interview Process and Timeline:
We take the time to review every application, so we appreciate your patience as you wait to hear back from us. We will begin reviewing applications in October.
Typically, next steps in our process include:
- Digital Interview - Candidates will complete a digital audio-only interview using the Hirevue platform.
- Virtual Info Session – After Hirevue is reviewed, those selected for next steps will be invited to an info session hosted by our University team to review program details.
- Interview with the hiring team – 2-way video interviewing with the team you would be Interning with over the summer. This is your moment to interview us as well and to learn more about your potential project(s)!
- Offer extension – A University Recruiter will contact you if the hiring team has selected you as their Intern.
**Please note, all communication will take place using the email address you use to apply to this position.
What if the work you did everyday could impact the lives of people you know? Or all of humanity?
At Illumina, we are expanding access to genomic technology to realize health equity for billions of people around the world. Our efforts enable life-changing discoveries that are transforming human health through the early detection and diagnosis of diseases and new treatment options for patients.
Working at Illumina means being part of something bigger than yourself. Every person, in every role, has the opportunity to make a difference. Surrounded by extraordinary people, inspiring leaders, and world-changing projects, you will do more and become more than you ever thought possible.