2023 Cattle Field Sales Intern – Idaho
The Future Talent Program features internships that last up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Animal Health Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Our Cattle Field Sales Interns interact face to face with our customers, work to understand their customer needs and consult to offer solutions. Work collaboratively in Field Sales Teams and play a critical role in supporting our customer centric business model.
The Cattle Field Sales Intern position is responsible for working in their respective region to understand and identify veterinarian, cattle producer and retail/reseller account customer needs, by selling our Company's Animal Health (AH) division products, supporting pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, and ensuring that our Company's Animal Health (AH) division is viewed as bringing value and technical innovations aligned to our strategic focus - The Science of Healthier Animals. In addition, the Cattle Field Sales Intern demonstrates an understanding of the resources available across our Company's Animal Health (AH) division and our Distribution Partners.
Key Responsibilities May Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Communicates about product in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customizes discussions and interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Point of contact for assigned customers, meet with key personnel/decision makers to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers, customer needs and identifies business opportunities.
- Develop customer strategy for assigned customers - outlining strategy for interactions/relationship, solutions, partner involvement and potential offerings for customer resulting in solutions, partner involvement and potential offerings for customer resulting in sales opportunities and account sales growth of AH products and services.
- Shares with other team members within the region to foster growth and development within the team.
- Identifies and selects programs/services available within Animal Health’s available resources to address customer needs and provide education & training opportunities to accounts.
- Works with Field Technical Services to develop and deliver relevant offerings that address desired customer needs.
- Develop current understanding of AH products, industry trends and competitor landscape.
- Articulates and communicates relevant customer, industry, product, and market trends appropriately through the organization.
- Responsible for developing and meeting learning and development objectives agreed upon with leadership.
Scope And Context:
- This position is a 10 week summer Individual Contributor role
- Ideal candidate is located in Idaho
- Demonstrate Ethics & Integrity
- Drive Results
- Focus on Customers & Patients
- Make Rapid Disciplined Decisions
- Act with Courage & Candor
- Build Talent
- Foster Collaboration
- Business & Financial Acumen
- Working Across Boundaries
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Productive Communication
- Problem Solving
Core Commercial Functional Competencies:
- Customer and Market Insights
- Strategic Business Management
- Product Knowledge & Portfolio Management
- Account Management
- Customer Engagement
- Market Access
- Regulatory & Compliance Knowledge
- Life cycle Management
For Field-based Sales Interns in Animal Health, you will be required to rent a car. As part of this position requirements, you will have to be legally authorized to rent a car in the state in which you reside/work in.
Required Education & Experience:
- For Undergraduates: Optimal Candidates are advanced Sophomore or coming Junior
- Candidates must be enrolled in Bachelor's Degree if undergraduate, or proof of enrollment in Master Degree if graduate.
- Candidates must be 20 years of age or older at the start of the internship to meet the necessary criteria to obtain a rental car agreement through our rental car provider
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Candidates should have experience with animal health products and or production is preferred.
- Candidates should have excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate motivation and focus on achieving measurable, tangible results.
- Candidates should have commitment to collaboration as the normal mode of working and resolving problems.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of positions’ contribution to the business goals and willingness to adopt changes to current processes to meet customer needs.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate ability to independently understand customers’ evolving needs and expectations and combines with knowledge of customers’ organization and culture to drive results.
- Candidates should have effective application of selling techniques and approaches, simultaneously managing multiple customers/accounts at different stages of the sales process, articulating the value of AH products using approved resources.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate ability to identify, develop and manage a diverse mix of accounts independently within a territory, including some complex accounts, and to develop plans based on unique opportunities and customer needs.
- Candidates should be proficient computer skills including working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the ability to use an iPad.
- Candidates should have the ability to work independently and, as part of a team
- Candidates should have the ability to travel overnight and some weekend activity
- Candidates should have experience within the Animal Health industry
- Candidates should have knowledge of cattle production
- Candidates should have knowledge of animal health biological and pharmaceutical products
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are…
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for…
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.