Intern, Gene Therapy Manufacturing
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a 12-week internship role from June - August 2023. Resume review begins in January 2023.
Biogen is constructing a new Gene Therapy Manufacturing facility (GTM) for the development and production of clinical phase gene therapy products in RTP North Carolina, USA. The GTM site will be designed to be a mostly stand-alone facility to include warehousing, manufacturing, laboratories, utilities, systems, and offices to support the operation. The facility will be designed to maximize manufacturing flexibility, utilizing single use process equipment throughout the process for manufacturing AAV gene therapy products.
In the summer of 2023, the project site will be finishing construction, and will be transitioning towards installation of piping and mechanical systems. The manufacturing team will support the qualification of process equipment and support construction as required to meet the project time lines.
Detailed description of role including but not limited to:
- You will be working with manufacturing team members to support process & mechanical review of process equipment being built off site by vendors.
- You will execute qualification documentation for various manufacturing equipment.
- You will be performing construction site walk-downs to verify measurements, installation verification and adherence to design documents.
Example projects may include:
- Support manufacturing team members in the development of training documents or procedures. Examples could include the OJT for the use of a single use bioreactor, chromatography skid or an autoclave.
- Review technical documentation to support acceptance testing such as weld certifications, shop drawings, panel schedules, and testing protocols.
- Depending on project schedule, perform field walks at the construction site to verify installation of process equipment.
- Self-motivated and independent yet team oriented.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in MS office programs & Technical Writing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail is important for documentation and design reviews.
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
2-3 years of engineering or life science related courses
Research Triangle Park, NC