Intern, Surface Plasmon Resonance
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a 12-week internship role from June - August 2023. Resume review begins in January 2023.
We are looking for a highly motivated student to join our Physical Biochemistry group within the department of Biotherapeutic and Medicinal Sciences at Biogen for a summer internship. The Physical Biochemistry group at Biogen aims to enable target-based, small molecule, biologics and AAV invention and optimization that drives informed decisions for discovery of medicines beneficial for patients with Neurological disease. The successful candidate will be part of a fast-paced and innovative environment actively pursuing unmet medical needs in the neuroscience space. The primary focus of this role is to apply SPR and other binding techniques to investigate interactions between small molecules and RNA or membrane protein targets. The ideal candidate should be detail oriented and demonstrate an ability to clearly document and communicate their experimental results and display independent problem-solving skills.
Responsibilities of the role include but not limited to:
- The intern will work closely with senior physical biochemistry scientists
- Prepare laboratory solutions as needed
- Perform various SPR experiments under supervision to understand small molecule binding to membrane proteins and nucleic acids
- Maintain the state-of-the-art Biacore facilities under supervision
- Participate in weekly group meetings and scientific discussions
- Give PowerPoint presentations at the end of internship
The successful candidate should have several of the qualifications below:
- Good understanding of the principle of SPR and having moderate hands-on experience with SPR experimental design and execution
- Experience of commonly used biophysical binding assays, such as TR-FRET and MST, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of scientific procedures and ability to design and perform complex scientific experiments.
- Excellent problem-solving ability
- Innovative approaches to problem solving will be highly valued.
- Excellent in organization and communication skills. The candidate is expected to document all aspects of the experiments performed and be able to conduct independent research to collect and archive all necessary information.
- Ability to follow Biogen’s laboratory safety protocols and policies
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Current undergraduate or graduate students pursuing degrees in Chemistry, Biology, or a related discipline.