The Naval Nuclear Laboratory is operated by Fluor Marine Propulsion, LLC. The Naval Nuclear Laboratory comprises the U.S. Department of Energy locations and personnel responsible for developing advanced naval nuclear propulsion technology, providing technical support to ensure the safety and reliability of our nation’s naval nuclear reactors, and training the Sailors who operate those reactors in the U.S. Navy’s submarines and aircraft carrier Fleets.
The Naval Nuclear Laboratory includes the Bettis and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratories, the Kenneth A. Kesselring Site, and the Naval Reactors Facility which have proudly supported the nation since 1946. The Naval Nuclear Laboratory has nearly 8,000 employees working at primary locations in Pennsylvania, New York, South Carolina, and Idaho. The Naval Nuclear Laboratory also has an established presence at numerous shipyards and vendor locations around the globe.
We are dedicated solely to the support of the United States Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program. Program elements include the following:
• Research, development, and support laboratories
• Contractors responsible for designing, procuring, and building propulsion plant equipment
• Nuclear power schools and Naval Reactors training facilities
• Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program Headquarters and field offices
• Naval support facilities and tenders
• Shipyards that build, overhaul, and service the propulsion plants of nuclear-powered vessels