Admissions Specialist (FT-Belle Mead)
How have you impacted someone’s life today?
At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Admissions Specialist completes initial triage via face to face Interview of all incoming patients to the Access/Admissions Department. Assists with gathering clinical information. Reviews patients for Admission Physician/Nurse Practitioner/LIP. Collaborates with LIP and assists with the patient admission to HMH Carrier Clinic or Blake Recovery Center or helps make proper referrals and/ or transfer if and/when appropriate. Manages case pre-admission, including requests for medical records and other clinical information as required prior to evaluation.
A Day in the life of an Admissions Specialist at Hackensack Meridian includes:
- Answers telephone inquiries in the Access Center. Provides pertinent information regarding inpatient/outpatient services to patients, families, and referral sources. Triages appointments and schedules patients at appropriate locations. Provides assistance to all aspects of patient intake.
- Enters patient data (demographics, insurance, and clinical information) into a computer system.
- Performs computer processes relating to admissions, referrals to outpatient centers, schedules appointments, and edits changes in existing computer files.
- Performs intake evaluation patient interview (1) asking clinically pertinent questions during the patient and/or family interview; (2) recognizes critical situations necessitating immediate clinical intervention (response); (3) communicates patient problems and difficulties with Admission LIP and assists with arriving at a clinical determination recommendation using admission criteria.
- Notifies units of pending admissions.
- Notifies outpatient centers to arrange treatment for patients who require that level of care following assessment.
- Performs pre-certification/authorization reviews with payors.
- Tends to the care and comfort needs of patients and their families. Meets and exceeds expectations by responding promptly with tact and sensitivity.
- Performs all assigned duties relative to the processing of patients through the Carrier system.
- Serves on hospital committees as appointed.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/ university in social work, psychology, nursing or related field.
- Previous clinical experience in an inpatient experience in a psychiatric or substance abuse facility.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
- Master's degree in Social Work, Counseling or related field.
- Prior years of experience working as a NJ screener or in a psychiatric admissions department.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification or completed in the first 90 days of employment.