Process Development Engineer Intern (Bachelors/Masters)
About the Internship Program
At Illumina, we believe interns are our future innovators, leaders, and game changers. You'll tap undiscovered talents, develop new skills, and join a team of full-time employees doing work that directly contributes to our business and mission. It truly is an opportunity to learn, grow, and become a fully integrated member of the Illumina community.
In addition to impactful work, the internship program offers a robust experience including:
- Competitive hourly pay rate
- 2 days of paid time off (PTO) in addition to our 1-week paid company summer shutdown
- Professional development
- Team building activities
- Mentorship program
- Engagement with senior leadership
- Volunteering opportunities
- Access to our benefits and wellness program
Program Logistics and Eligibility:
- You must be available for the entire 12-week 2023 summer program. You will choose from these two session options in May – Aug 2023 or June – September 2023. Program dates are not flexible.
- You must be available to work 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday.
- We offer both onsite and remote internships and will ask for your preferences when you apply. The location of your internship will be determined based on the specific team you join and will be communicated later in the interview process. You could work at one of the following sites: San Diego, CA, Foster City, CA, Hayward, CA, Madison, WI, Baltimore, MD, Fully remote (**If your internship is remote, you must work in the U.S. for the entirety of the program).
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for the duration of the internship period. Candidates who require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., F-1 visa status) are NOT eligible for this position.
About the Role
As a Process Development Engineer Intern, you will have the opportunity to gain real work experience and help solve problems and issues that are relevant to our dynamic business.
Please note, this role is available in our Global Operations and Research and Development business units. Through our interview process, we will align your qualifications and interests with a specific team based on their skillset needs. Project and team details will be clarified throughout the interview process.
Responsibilities could include:
- Utilize change management practices and partner with functional and technical teams to drive safety, quality, efficiency, and/or cost improvements.
- Identify, analyze trends, monitor and update Manufacturing KPIs and metrics. Develop new processes for manufacturing and testing sequencing flow cells.
- Drive troubleshooting, failure analysis, root cause analysis, issues closure and corrective action processes as required.
- Plan, conduct, analyze and develop requirements, experiments, and help with transfer capabilities from one platform to another. Analyze process test results, issue reports and make technical recommendations.
- Identify opportunities for continuous end to end process improvement and work with the team to implement Process Control.
- Develop supporting documents and process improvement content and work instructions for end users.
- Partner with stakeholders to streamline process documents, policies and procedures access and version control.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with basic programming and statistical language (Python, R, RStudio, JMP, Java, SQL).
- Familiarity with statistics, data analysis, and project management platforms (Six Sigma Green Belt, Lean Manufacturing, JIRA, Tableau, Confluence, MS Project) and Agile methodology. Proficient in using Process Mapping tools and CAD.
- Excellent data analysis, process modeling and knowledge of business statistics to develop business cases.
- Experience in process mapping, six sigma methodology, lean manufacturing, and process improvement preferred.
- Hands on wet lab, chromatography, and research experience a plus.
- Related coursework in computer programming, biochemistry, heat transfer, molecular biology, and analytical chemistry a plus.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills with experience in facilitating cross functional teams in process walk through.
- Must have strong critical thinking skills, be detail-oriented, organized, with a demonstrated ability to implement complex protocols.
- Self-starter, collaborator, and problem-solver with excellent communication skills and agile mind-set.
- Excitement to join a fast-paced and innovative organization that is impacting human health!
- You must be a current student enrolled in a full-time Bachelors or Masters degree program with a graduation date between December 2023 – July 2025.
- Preferred areas of study: Materials Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Nanoengineering, Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, Industrial engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Process Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Physics, or related field.
Interview Process and Timeline:
We take the time to review every application, so we appreciate your patience as you wait to hear back from us. We will begin reviewing applications in October.
Typically, next steps in our process include:
- Digital Interview - Candidates will complete a digital audio-only interview using the Hirevue platform.
- Virtual Info Session – After Hirevue is reviewed, those selected for next steps will be invited to an info session hosted by our University team to review program details.
- Interview with the hiring team – 2-way video interviewing with the team you would be Interning with over the summer. This is your moment to interview us as well and to learn more about your potential project(s)!
- Offer extension – A University Recruiter will contact you if the hiring team has selected you as their Intern
**Please note, all communication will take place using the email address you use to apply to this position.
What if the work you did everyday could impact the lives of people you know? Or all of humanity?
At Illumina, we are expanding access to genomic technology to realize health equity for billions of people around the world. Our efforts enable life-changing discoveries that are transforming human health through the early detection and diagnosis of diseases and new treatment options for patients.
Working at Illumina means being part of something bigger than yourself. Every person, in every role, has the opportunity to make a difference. Surrounded by extraordinary people, inspiring leaders, and world-changing projects, you will do more and become more than you ever thought possible.