2023 Associate Specialist, Biological Safety COE
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in customer-facing commercial or research- based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated.
The Future Talent Program features internships that lasts up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Manufacturing & Supply Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
The Global Safety & Environment Intern will provide environmental, health, and safety (EHS) compliance and technical support to our global business partners related to Biosafety Center of Excellence (CoE) compliance programs. The intern is expected to complete assignments related to:
Continuing to build and maintain the Enablon BAR biological agent database. This includes risk group classification and researching other hazard indentation information associated with biological agents handled across the network. Auditing the BAR Enablon biorisk assessment repository to ensure data integrity Establishing procedures to help sites establish BAR metrics dashboards and run reports Other activities as assigned by the manager or Biosafety CoE team members.
Required Education and Experience:
- Candidates must be currently pursuing a Bachelors/ Master’s Degree in biological sciences with a concentration in microbiology, bacteriology, mycology, virology, molecular biology, biotechnology, or other related biological sciences degree.
- Candidates must have completed at least 3 years of college coursework
- Candidates must be able to work full time for a period of 9-12 weeks
- Candidates must have critical thinking, communication, project management, problem-solving, and computer skills
- Candidates must have the ability to receive verbal or written direction and implement corresponding changes
- Candidates must have the ability to think critically about process inefficiencies and propose solutions
- Candidates must have experience writing and reviewing procedures, and researching scientific literature via the internet
- Candidates must be a forward thinking, creative individual passionate about protecting human health and the environment
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have prior internship or work experience in the Environmental, Health, and Safety field or in biotechnology
- Candidates should have the ability to convey ideas and explain decisions in a clear and concise manner.
- Candidates should have the ability to work in a small team
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to being the most trusted supplier of biopharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that’s devoted to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and
animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.