2023 Discovery Oncology Co-op, SSF
The Future Talent Program features Cooperative (Co-op) education that lasts up to 6 months and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research & Development Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
The co-op will work with a scientific mentor to develop and carry out biochemical, and/or cell-based assays to characterize new therapeutics targets and potential therapeutic molecules. Techniques used will include isolation of immune cell subsets, primary and cancer cell line culture, proliferation assays, and flow cytometry. This project has the potential to identify new targets/pathways for oncology therapy.
Responsibilities of the oncology discovery co-op may include:
- Design, execute, interpret, and report in vitro experiments.
- Assist in developing, executing, and troubleshooting new cell assays.
- Communicate data clearly and concisely to teams and stakeholders.
- Monitor, review, and critically interpret published work to guide your own research.
- Collaborate with members from other functional areas, including medicinal chemistry, in vivo and in vitro pharmacology, and genetics.
Required Education & Experience:
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a minimum of a BS/BA degree in biological sciences or a related discipline.
- Candidates must be available to work full-time for up to (6) consecutive months beginning in early to mid-2023.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a co-op program through their college or university.
- Candidates must have a strong desire to develop knowledge of oncology drug discovery.
- Candidates must have experience with basic lab procedures: pipetting, solution preparation, plate assays.
- Candidates must have experience with basic mammalian cell culture.
- Candidates must have demonstrated ability to perform accurate data analysis
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of lab reports and presentations.
- Candidates should have strong attention to detail.
- Candidates should have prior research experience.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are…
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for…
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.