Intern, Applied Analytics & Operations, Manufacturing Sciences
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a 12-week internship role from June - August 2023. Resume review begins in January 2023.
The Applied Analytics & Operations (AAO) Team provides on-going data systems and analytics support of our manufacturing processes across the global internal/external network. The primary responsibilities of this organization are to deploy and maintain robust data systems that enable end users to monitor process conditions through multivariate analysis, data aggregation and visualization to empower process trending and continued process verification, compliance with respect to data integrity and trending methods, and analytics support of root cause investigations and continual improvement efforts. These data analytic capabilities are considered critical by the GMS and manufacturing organizations and support all product modalities across the organization.
In this role, you will be part of the Applied Analytics & Operations (AAO) team, responsible for delivering best-in-class GxP manufacturing process monitoring solutions for the Research Triangle Park (RTP) Manufacturing facility. The specific job responsibilities include:
- Supports the development of real-time, multivariate models with SIMCA-online, engaging with process scientists to define requirements and continuously improve and refine modeling approach. Partner with site automation teams to ensure robust recipe triggers and data flow, as well as validation of GxP process models.
- Supports the development of Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) data flows with Statistica to build GxP datasets and data visualization solutions for customers across the Manufacturing Sciences group.
- Partner with the Information Technology teams to continuously improve Biogen platform tools and enhance the user experience.
- Develops and maintains data visualization reports using Tableau and Statistica, and may build and deploy multivariate models for use in GMP manufacturing.
- Provide routine training to RTP manufacturing teams and support organizations on usage of data tools (SIMCA-online, Statistica, Tableau) as well as design of eLearning modules.
- Maintains data sets and troubleshoots data gaps and discrepancies using SQL exploration of data source systems
Example projects may include:
- Building and deploying a GXP data workflow and CPV analysis from the ground up
- Building and deploying multivariate models for an upcoming campaign
- Building a solution to improve the data engineering process within AAO
- Experience with data analytics platforms and visualization tools (such as Statistica, Alteryx, SIMCA-Online, Discoverant, Tableau, Spotfire or others)
- Experience with database design using tools such as MS SQL Server, mySQL, or others and understanding of the Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) data integration process.
- Statistical programming experience with languages such as Python, R/Shinny, etc. is a plus.
- Working understanding of automation and enterprise systems such as OSIsoft PI, Delta V, SynTQ, Syncade is a plus.
- Previous experience working in the Biotech/Pharma industry in a GxP environment is a plus.
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
Ongoing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy, Computer Science, or related disciplines