Intern, Community Lab (RTP)
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a 12-week internship role from June - August 2023. Resume review begins in January 2023.
The Corporate Affairs function is responsible for positioning Biogen as a leader in neuroscience and enhancing the company’s reputation with key stakeholders, employees, and patients. At the core, Corporate Affairs supports the company’s business objectives by communicating and informing Biogen’s company value proposition and bringing the brand’s promise to life.
As a Biogen Community Lab Intern, you will help to transform today's young students into the discoverers and scientific leaders of tomorrow. The mission of the Community Lab program is to engage middle and high schoolers in science and biotechnology by introducing them to experiments and scientific processes that are part of everyday life at Biogen. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the in-depth summer lab programs for middle schoolers, high schoolers, and teachers. This is a great opportunity to be exposed to the complete drug development pipeline and learn how a biotechnology company operates.
The Community Lab is essential to Biogen’s overall corporate social responsibility. Caring deeply. Working fearlessly. Changing lives. ™ This isn’t just a corporate philosophy, it’s an extension of who Biogen is as a company and how we support the communities where we live and work.
Detailed description of role including but not limited to:
- Assist with running the summer Community Lab sessions for hundreds of middle and high school students as well as teachers, including specifically:
- Providing teaching assistance during in-person and virtual sessions
- Assisting with organizing summer sessions and related paperwork
- Recruiting and organizing volunteers
- Running test experiments for hands-on and virtual labs
- Providing basic laboratory preparation and clean up
- Work cross functionally with over 50 employee volunteers across various departments
- Ability to understand the drug development process and communicate that process to the public
- Help inspire and engage employees in a way that connects them to the Community Lab and elevates Biogen’s profile.
- There will be the potential to collaborate on opportunities outside the Community Lab to enhance Biogen’s presence in the community.
- Background in biological sciences, including basic lab experience such as micro pipetting and working with DNA or bacteria
- Strong organizational skills with outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail, strong initiative and sense of urgency and ability
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and passion for working with students. Teaching experience is a plus.
- Teamwork skills with the ability to collaborate with another intern and the Community Lab instructor
- Passion for science
- 21st century communicator – strong knowledge of digital platforms, social media, and awareness of emerging technologies as well as traditional tools (Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn).
- Maturity and ability to work cross-functionally with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to represent Biogen in a variety of community settings.
- We are seeking at least one Community Lab intern who is fluent in both spoken and written Spanish to help communicate with parents who do not speak English
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
Current Undergraduate. Life sciences majors, such as Biology, Biotechnology, or Chemistry preferred.
Hybrid - Research Triangle Park, North Carolina