Division Leader / Head Counselor (Summer camp/teaching)
Division Leader / Head Counselor
The perfect job for aspiring education majors! Located in Pennsylvania’s beautiful Pocono Mountains, Camp Lindenmere is a private, coed sleep-away camp established in 1935. Our focus is on the individual growth of each child and our campers range in age from 7 to 17. We run Sports, Arts, Performing Arts, Adventure, STEM, and Circus & Gymnastics programs on a daily basis across our beautiful facilities.
A Division Leader will be a senior staff member who will oversee approximately 30-50 campers and 8-12 counselors throughout the summer. A Division Leader will work directly with each and every camper in their age group ensuring their health, safety, well-being and happiness. Coordinate efforts with counselors, parents and Camp Directors.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Oversee 30-50 campers and 8-12 counselors throughout the summer.
- Work directly with each and every camper in the age group ensuring their health, safety, well-being and happiness.
- Communicate directly with parents.
- Directly manage any problems or concerns that may arise within the division.
- Train, mentor and coach counselors to serve in their jobs as role models to the campers.
- Supervise and evaluate the staff members in the division.
- Coordinate camper’s schedules and other camp needs.
- Review Daily Logs written by the counselors on each camper.
- Get to know every camper well and respond to their individual needs.
- Work to assure a quality cabin and camp experience for every camper.
- Be a quality role model for children.
- Be able to encourage, support and set limits for children.
- Be aware and effectively address the group and social dynamics of campers.
- Be safety conscious at all times.
- Make sure that every camper's basic needs are met.
- Be aware of the campers physical and emotional health.
- Maintain general cabin cleanliness.
- Ensure campers are regularly showering, brushing teeth, changing clothes, etc.
- Teach children to develop good self-care and independent living skills
- Work in concert with counselors to effectively manage the cabin as a unified team.
Other Job Duties:
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, trips, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Assist in the planning of any special events.
- Actively participate in all staff trainings and meetings.
- Prepare for, accept feedback, and constructively problem-solve during supervision sessions.
- Set a good example for campers and others including: cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and chores, sportsmanship.
- Follow camp staff rules and regulations as it pertains to smoking, use of alcoholic beverages, drugs, and technology.
- Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
- Maintain a proactive, positive attitude at all times.
- Ask for help from appropriate staff when needed.
Reports to: Camp Directors
- Working towards or acquired a Bachelor’s Degree (or higher), preferably in a field related to education, childcare, psychology, etc.
- Demonstrated skills and experience working with children.
- Able to communicate and work well with children and other staff members.
- Applicants must be individuals with high moral character and possess a strong work ethic. Working in camp and counseling children is hard work! We expect our staff members to be excellent role models for our campers. Previous experience working with children is important. The capacity to provide warm, mature guidance is most important.
- As a condition of employment applicants must pass the staff screening processes which include: reference checks, criminal background checks, sex offender registry checks, fingerprinting, and other staff screening checks deemed appropriate.